Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Sleep Thief

Why is it that when you have the time to sleep your body won't sleep? I finally have a night to get to bed at a decent hour and my mind is going a mile a minute. There are things to get done, things to remember, things to anticipate, things to worry about, and my mind can't slow down enough to let my body slow down to let me get some rest. Maybe it is my body's way of keeping me ready for sleep deprivation when I need it. Maybe it thinks I need practice. Whatever it is it is driving me crazy.
I also hate how every persons sleep clock is different, it really does not allow for a full night of quiet when there are 8 different sleep clocks. I have Early to bedders, I have late nighters, I have inbetweeners, then I have early risers and sleeper inners. This never works for a period of time when everyone in the house feels well rested and happy and ready for whatever comes their way. There is always a cranky child that needs a nap. Why can't I as the mother set everyone's body clock to what fits my needs and purposes? After all I am the one that gave birth to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,
It is going to be so fun to read your blogs! Thanks for letting us know about it.
By the way, not to scare you, but it gets worse! Teenagers often have late night activities, while you are having to get up early to get hubbie or little ones going. I think we need a few extra hours between midnight and morning!
Laura

Stina said...

melissa! oh man i totally know what you mean! i have an ever increasing understanding lately as my darling 3 year old (who is 3 in EVERY way now) who just 2 days ago is on a nap strike....this is the girl who would put HERSELF to bed and LOVED sleep. she's driving me nuts because she desperatly needs the sleep....and is now falling asleep at the dinner table at 7:00 while we are fighting with her to eat her dinner...i hope it's not an eating strike too! it's making for miserable babysitting...but in time this too shall pass...even if i have to wait another 20 years or so LOL

christina